top of page
profile view.jpg

Photograph's of Sussex' Architectural Delights

Located to the south of Crawley, Slaugham was once forest and ironworking territory. 

It must have been important enough to build a church in the 13th Century (perhaps because of the nearby river Ouse and associated traffic).

It is not mentioned as such in Domesday but it has been reported as 'good hunting ground'. 

In the 15th century, land around Slaugham was purchased by the Covert family (apparently there are family ties to William the Conqueror).

Before the Coverts acquired land, a church existed in Slaugham (at least since Norman times). 

The oldest part of the church (C12) is certainly the main body (the Nave), although it has been altered over time.

Most notable alterations were the addition of the South Chapel (17th century) and South aisle (serially built and rebuilt from the 13th century onwards).

The influence of the Covert family may be seen in the form of brasses inside the chuch. So too is Lord Admiral Horatio Nelson's Sister (memorial on East end of the church)

view from the North.jpg
richard covert monument m1.jpg

Memorial to Richard Covert(1547)

nelson family memorial.jpg

Memorial to Nelson's Sister

st marys church slaugahm nave_animation_preset1.mp4

Inside the church- Nave and Chancel)

st marys slaugham chancel_animation_preset1.mp4

The ruined Slaugham place was a courtyard house built and ruined during the 15th and 16th centuries. It was one of the homes of the Covert family.

The ruined house and gardens are not visitable by the general public (it is a wedding venue), although part of the ruins may be seen from a footpath which runs from the churchyard to the western edge of the property

bottom of page